View Larger Map
Hillsborough Community College
Center for International Education
4001 West Tampa Bay Blvd
Tampa, Florida 33614 USA
- Study in the USA: Select a Campus
- Map of Top US Universities
- English Programs in the USA
- English Testing for Proficiency
- Resources and Links
- Secure Server Details
- Send to a Friend
- Student Insurance
- Student Travel in the USA
- Student Visas: Basic Info
- U.S. Education Advisors
- U.S. Education Fair Schedule
- USjournal.com: About Us
- USjournal.com: Site Map
|Click here for an Academic Program List offered at
Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, Florida
Welcome to Hillsborough Community College
in Tampa Bay, Florida!
Hillsborough Community College (HCC) is a fully accredited, public community college in the metropolitan region of Tampa, Florida. Since 1968, we have been providing a high-quality, contemporary education to a large and diverse domestic and international community. We offer:
- A Center for International Education dedicated to your support and success.
- A strong university transfer program to help you attend a four-year college or university in the United States.
- A culturally diverse student population.
- A desirable location on Florida's Central Gulf Coast, with year-round warm weather and recreational opportunities.
Learn more about HCC:
- Academics at Hillsborough Community College
Click here to select your preferences.
- Transfer Opportunities to Four-Year Colleges or Universities
- English for Academic Purposes
- Housing / Accommodations
- Location: Tampa, Florida (Southeastern U.S.)
- HCC Student Life
- Center for International Education
At Hillsborough Community College, we support our international students with programs and services from start to finish: from admissions and entry into the United States, all the way through your two years of study at HCC. We make sure you have everything you need to get the very best education.
HCC helps more than 48,000 students take advantage of our vast course offerings across our five campus locations. More than 200 international students from over 60 nations attend HCC on F-1 visas. Adding to our diversity are more than 2,500 students from over 130 nations who immigrated to the United States and chose Tampa Bay as their new home. We're proud of our role in helping our students gain employment, or transfer to four-year universities throughout the United States.
Your Academic Advantage at HCC
With our wide variety of degree programs, our top rankings in the number of students we graduate, and our success in helping students transfer to four-year universities, HCC is a great place to start your education. Here are some highlights, facts and figures on our academics:
- We offer more than 160 academic programs, including 18 Associate in Arts (AA) degree tracks for university transfer students.
- Among the United States' nearly 1,200 community colleges, HCC ranks in the top 20 in graduating students with Associate degrees, and in the top 40 in graduating minorities with Associate degrees.
- We provide our students with the opportunity to transfer to a four-year institution through our articulation agreements with 11 state universities in Florida, and with many other major universities throughout the United States.
- HCC graduates get jobs! Nearly all of our Associate in Science and Associate in Applied Science programs boast a 100 percent job placement rate.
More Great Reasons to Choose HCC!
Did you know that almost half of all first-year college students in the United States attend a community college? If you are looking for...
- Low tuition
- Small class sizes
- Solid accreditation for transfer
- English language programs
- Tutoring and academic assistance
- Luxury housing on campus
- Clubs and organizations
- Athletics, to play or watch
...then HCC is the place for you! Inquire now.
Choosing a college or university is one of the most important decisions you will make in your lifetime. While completing the first two years of a four-year bachelor's degree at HCC, you can explore all your university options. Whether you are dreaming of earning your bachelor's degree from a selective liberal arts college or a nationally ranked research university or an Ivy League institution, HCC is an ideal place to begin your college experience. First, our tuition and fees are much lower than most four-year institutions. Second, we offer international students more than 160 Associate degrees and career programs, many of which qualify you for transfer to four-year universities.
Our Associate in Arts degree is designed to satisfy general education requirements for a four-year degree; you may also take introductory courses in your intended, upper division major. That gives you a chance to learn if your intended major is a good choice, and to change it if you like. After earning an Associate in Arts degree, HCC students qualify for transfer as a third-year student to many nationally ranked four-year institutions throughout the United States, including Florida.
Popular HCC pre-majors for university transfer include:
|Liberal Arts and Sciences||Business Administration|
|Education||Computer Information Systems|
|Mass Communications||Hospitality Management|
HCC also offers Associate in Science degrees which provide additional coursework to prepare students for employment. While many Associate in Science degrees are transferable -- including Nursing, Radiography, Engineering, and Business Administration -- we also award innovative degrees and certifications (taking less than two years) that prepare you for employment in fields such as Business Administration, Accounting, Computer Sciences, and Hospitality and Tourism Management.
We invite you to join us.
First, select your academic preference.
In line with our educational philosophy, we support our students with services that reinforce their classroom success. One way we help our international students is with our English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program. Upon arrival at HCC, a placement exam will help us determine if students require EAP courses prior to enrolling in college-level courses.
The EAP Program is designed to help our international students develop the academic language skills necessary to effectively participate in an academic setting at HCC. It gives you an opportunity to improve your performance in four skill areas: Grammar, Writing, Reading, and Speech / Listening.
Our EAP places you in one of six levels of study, from Low Beginner to High Advanced, depending on your results in the placement exam. Levels 1 to 4 are comprised of Grammar, Writing, Reading, Speech / Listening. Levels 5 and 6, if your English grammar skills are more advanced, offer Writing, Reading, Speech / Listening. Students enrolled in Levels 5 or 6 may take other approved credit courses that count toward a degree. For your convenience, classes are small, with approximately 25 or fewer students, and are offered during Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
HCC offers international students a convenient and comfortable on-campus housing option at Hawks Landing.
Hawks Landing gives you the perfect environment for studying, relaxing, and making new friends. You can choose a lease from three floor plans of spacious 1-, 2- and 4-bedroom apartments, each with high-speed internet, keyed-entry bedrooms, cable TV, and modern kitchens. The complex also includes a resort-style swimming pool, a computer lab, and a state-of-the-art fitness center.
Hawks Landing is only a few blocks away from shopping, restaurants and nightlife, and within walking distance of Raymond James Stadium, home to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (American football), and Steinbrenner Field, the spring training home of the 2009 Baseball World Series Champions, the New York Yankees!
For an overview of Hawks Landing luxury student apartments, and for leasing information, please visit hccstudenthousing.com.
Tampa Bay not only is a popular tourist destination, but it also boasts a vibrant cultural scene, and a thriving business climate with excellent educational opportunities.
With its tropical climate, the Tampa Bay region is home to magnificent beach and marine life, and nearly unlimited outdoor recreational activities, such as swimming, scuba-diving, boating, sailing, fishing, hiking, horseback riding, biking, tennis, and golf.
Local attractions include Busch Gardens, the Florida Aquarium, Lowry Park Zoo, and the Museum of Science and Industry. And popular theme parks such as Walt Disney World, Universal Studios and SeaWorld are just a short drive away.
Tampa Bay also is home to a number of professional sports teams, such as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (American Football), Tampa Bay Rays (Major League Baseball) and the Tampa Bay Lightning (National Hockey League). The New York Yankees play baseball in Tampa during their spring training.
International students from around the world are an integral and vibrant part of the HCC community. We are committed to providing you with a well-rounded education and excellent academic preparation for a successful career. But we also want you to have an enjoyable and fulfilling student life, making new memories and forging new friendships that will last a lifetime.
On and off campus, we offer you a chance to do just about anything!
- Be a student government official.
- Write for the school paper and other publications.
- Attend or participate in our many art and cultural events.
- Play your favorite sport in our athletics program.
- Or join one or more of our many clubs and organizations to stay involved in your unique interests.
Hillsborough Community College's
Center for International Education
At HCC, we're very proud of our cultural and international diversity. And we believe strongly in the importance of international education -- teaching our domestic and F-1 visiting students to appreciate professional and personal life as a member of a global community.
That's why we provide special international programs and services for our visiting F-1 students, and our domestic students, through our Center for International Education, established in 2000. The HCC Center for International Education creates a learning environment that prepares students for an increasingly interconnected and changing world.
For our international students on F-1 visas -- today representing more than 60 nations -- you'll find that the Center provides a variety of services to support your needs while attending HCC, from start to finish:
- With Admissions, including guidance with your application to HCC, your visa interview and entry into the U.S. Admissions can also help with information on tuition and expenses, health insurance, and any F-1 visa-related questions you may have.
- Upon Arrival at HCC, helping you get started with an orientation, completion of any necessary placement tests and registration for classes.
- With Advising, helping you understand program requirements, explore majors, evaluate your options, and establish your educational goals.
- With University Transfer Support, helping you find and apply to the appropriate four-year university to continue your studies in the United States.
- With Student Life, helping you adjust to life in the U.S., establish housing, and getting involved in other campus and community activities.
We look forward to welcoming you to Hillsborough Community College! To request more information, complete the inquiry form and we will respond to you directly. You may also view our site at hccfl.edu.