View Larger Map
College of the Desert
43-500 Monterey Avenue
Palm Desert, California
- Study in the USA: Select a Campus
- Map of Top US Universities
- English Programs in the USA
- English Testing for Proficiency
- Resources and Links
- Secure Server Details
- Send to a Friend
- Student Insurance
- Student Travel in the USA
- Student Visas: Basic Info
- U.S. Education Fair Schedule
- USjournal.com: About Us
- USjournal.com: Site Map
|Click here to inquire about College of the Desert in California|
College of the Desert in Palm Springs, California
- The College of the Desert Difference
- Academic Programs (Click here to select your preference.)
- University Transfer
- International Student Services
- Study English at the Intensive English Academy
- The Palm Springs Resort Community
- Costs and How to Apply
College of the Desert (COD) is a two-year community college located next to the famous resort town of Palm Springs, California. College of the Desert offers the first two years of the four-year university degree, and prepares students for successful transfer to the many public and private universities throughout the United States. College of the Desert is fully accredited through the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
Founded in 1958, College of the Desert awards both Associate degrees and Occupational Certificates in a variety of majors. Our primary mission is to provide a comprehensive, student-centered community college education to more than 12,000 students currently enrolled. All COD faculty have a Masters degree, and most have a PhD. COD faculty are committed to student learning, and use a variety of teaching methods in the classroom. Small class size ensures that students will have an opportunity to learn from our distinguished faculty.
Our International Education Program provides services for more than 200 international students. Our students are from more than 40 different countries -- making our program quite diverse. In addition, College of the Desert offers one of the lowest tuition rates in the state of California! International students will find excellent education, strong support services and cost savings all in our beautiful Palm Springs, California location.
Click here to proceed with your inquiry process.
Learn more at CollegeoftheDesert.edu/international
At College of the Desert, students can choose from more than 80 degree and certificate programs, including:
Administration of Justice
Automotive Alternative Fuels
Computer Information Systems
Digital Design and Production
Early Childhood Education
Intensive English Study
University transfer is a primary goal of many of our international students. We have developed a comprehensive university transfer program which includes individualized counseling with our International Student Counselor that will help you from the time you arrive at the COD campus, to the time you transfer to the university. We also offer university transfer workshops, application workshops and individual assistance to help guide you through this process. We have a strong transfer rate with international students transferring to such prestigious institutions as the University of California (UC) Berkeley, UCLA, UC Irvine, UC Santa Cruz, UC Riverside, San Diego State University, San Francisco State University, California State University (CSU) - Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, and others.
Want to learn more?
Select your academic preference to get started.
COD has a diverse student population, and the campus has a friendly atmosphere. Faculty and staff are readily available to meet with students. Student services include academic advising, tutoring center, computer centers, transfer center, career center, health center, student activities and clubs, athletics, dining hall, bookstore and library. Students are encouraged to participate in the many campus clubs and organizations. The student government association (known as ASCOD) plays an active role in providing monthly campus activities. COD Athletics include varsity sports for both men and women; COD teams have won many state and national championships.
The International Student Office is dedicated to ensuring that our population of more than 200 international students have a positive experience in America, and reach their educational goals. The International Student Office offers a range of support services to assist the international student during their studies at College of the Desert. Services include:
- Housing: Although COD does not have on-campus housing available, our Housing Coordinator will assist you with housing placement. International students can choose from either the Host Family Program or an Off-Campus Apartment. The Host Family Program provides an opportunity for international students to learn about American culture and improve their English. The Room and Board option includes meals, and costs approximately $600 per month. The Room-Only option provides for the rental of the room only, and costs $400 per month. Students may also choose to live in an off-campus apartment. Prices start from approximately $900 per month for an unfurnished, one-bedroom apartment.
- Activities: Students need to have fun while they study! The International Student Office organizes weekend activities throughout the semester which include trips to Disneyland, Magic Mountain, beach parties and visits to other local attractions. In addition, there are other social activities for the international students including holiday parties and barbecues.
- Orientation: Our mandatory Orientation Program provides students with their first introduction to COD, the American education system, American culture, host family and apartment living, health care concerns, student services offered on campus and the International Student Program. During this three-day Orientation Program, students will take COD assessment tests and register for classes.
- Academic Advising: Our International Student Counselor will assist international students with course selection, graduation requirements and university transfer requirements. Individual and group appointments with the counselor are an important aspect of ensuring that students reach their academic goals. The counselor is also available to assist students with the adjustment to American life and culture.
- University Transfer Assistance: The International Student Office understands that transferring to university is the ultimate goal for many international students. Our International Student Counselor will assist you throughout your studies with us so that you can be sure you are choosing the right classes to reach your goals! The Office also assists international students with the university application process by providing workshops, advising and assistance with completing university applications.
- Intensive English Study: Students who want to practice English before entering the college, or those who just want to come to the USA to learn English can do so at the Intensive English Academy (IEA) located on our college campus. The IEA offers three levels with multiple entry dates and full access to the student services of the college-level program. Learn English and experience an American college campus!
- Airport Pick-Up: The International Student Office provides Airport Pick-Up service from the Palm Springs Airport for new international students. This is a free service.
- Scholarships: College of the Desert is happy to offer scholarships for returning students. Merit-based scholarships range in amounts from $500 to $1,000 per semester.
Ready to enroll?
Provide us with some information about you,
and we will respond to you directly.
In addition to academic programs, students can study intensive English at the Intensive English Academy (IEA). The IEA offers 30 hours per week of instruction in the English language for a period of 8 or 16 weeks. Classes focus on grammar, reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. We offer three different levels focusing on beginning to advanced skills; students who finish Level 3 can enter College of the Desert without the TOEFL. Class size is limited to 15, giving students a lot of opportunity to practice English and learn from our instructors. There are multiple entry dates throughout the year, including: August, October, January, March and June. Our June program is an accelerated course where students can complete a full level in only eight weeks! We encourage both academic and vacation learners to apply.
Intensive English Academy students will also enjoy the same services as our college students, including housing, advising, activities, and tutoring. IEA students have many social activities that are arranged throughout the study period. Such activities include visits to our local parks, movie days, sporting activities, hikes and holiday parties. We want to make sure that you have fun and have the opportunity to enjoy our beautiful location!
College of the Desert is located in Palm Desert, California, next to the world famous resort town of Palm Springs. Our beautiful area enjoys moderate temperature for most of the year with winter temperatures reaching 20-25C. Our location in Southern California is only a short drive to many famous attractions including Los Angeles, San Diego, theme parks, the mountains, and the beach! Outdoor activities are plentiful in Palm Springs, and include championship tennis and golf courses, beautiful hiking destinations, and world-class shopping.
Our small community is a comfortable and safe environment where students can live and study, and parents can feel secure about sending their children. Visit PalmSpringsUSA.com for more information about the Palm Springs resort area.
Tell us what you want to study,
and we will correspond promptly.
College of the Desert and the Intensive English Academy welcome applications from international students. Students must submit the International Student Application along with financial certification, proof of high school graduation, application fee, and the Housing Application. A 32 Internet-based or 400 paper-based TOEFL score or 3.5 IELTS score is required for admission to the college. The college also has TOEFL waiver agreements with many ESL programs in the USA. The TOEFL is NOT required for admission to the Intensive English Academy. Application deadlines are approximately one month prior to the session start dates:
|College of the Desert||Intensive English Academy|
|Fall Semester: August||August|
|Spring Semester: January||October|
Estimated tuition and living expenses for one year of study at College of the Desert are US $15,000. Intensive English Academy tuition and living expenses are based on the length of study and range from US $3,650 - US $18,000.
We look forward to welcoming you to the College of the Desert in California! Please review all of our programs and select the ones that interest you, then complete the form. Admissions counselors will respond to you directly. We hope to see you at COD!